Recently someone messaged me and asked me about freedom. I felt led to share this with others. Let me know your thoughts about walking in freedom.
Victory is ours through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen!
Here are my thoughts and what I have learned in the last few years about walking in victory.
It is about choice. While it is easy to let the words roll out of your mouth that I am free – the old adage, “Just cause you say it doesn’t mean it’s true” applies here. Recently, I sat through a sermon that basically said, “you are free. Believe it, Live it.” I sat there saying to myself – “show them how.”
Paul deals with the very battle that we are talking about. It is an emphasis on SPIRIT filled living versus fleshly living. The emphasis is on our spirits and the Holy Spirit living within in our spirits. In I Thessalonians 5:19-23 it says,
19 Do not stifle the Holy Spirit. 20 Do not scoff at prophecies, 21 but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good. 22 Keep away from every kind of evil.
23 Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until that day when our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. 24 God, who calls you, is faithful; he will do this.
Testing and re-testing. This is what I have found. Most of the time in the church the Holy Spirit is quenched. Most believers do not abstain from forms of evil. Therefore, the God of peace is not able to make us holy and our whole spirits, souls, and bodies are not blameless (believers are forgiven of sins but not sinless). With that said, we walk in bondage. To walk in freedom is not just saying it – but it is giving God permission to go to the dark places. The wounded places of our lives that have been festering for some time. The places where there is unforgiveness. The place where there is deep hurt and resentment and bitterness have a root. It is in doing a deep cleansing before the Lord and asking Him by His Holy Spirit to come and clean out the places where the darkness has been. It is not easy to do this but it is necessary for freedom. It is appropriating the freedom. It is taking the freedom that we already have and living in it and walking in it and letting it out all over us and impacting the people around us.
We are made of 3 parts. In the Image of God our Abba Father. Spirit, Soul and Body. Father Son and Spirit.
If you look at the I Thessalonians 5:23, (and every other verse I have looked at in Scripture) reads, “may your spirit, soul and body be made complete or blameless.” I believe this implies that we are to nourish our spirits, where the Holy Spirit resides, with the Word and healing. You may have heard it said, “Don’t break the spirit of the child for if you break the spirit then you have broken the child.” I have heard something similar about horses. The point is I believe that the reason freedom is not easy is because we feed our flesh(soul – mind will, and emotions) and body(physical earth tent) most of the time. That is where the battle lies. But if we will learn to feed the spirit and ask the Lord by the Holy Spirit to feed the spirit man then you and I can have victory over our soul and body and walk in freedom.
Steps to take:
1. Cleansing and healing. Is there anyone you are holding onto unforgiveness. Is there any sins for which you are tolerating? Spend some time here in prayer. Write them down and confess by faith forgiveness that you cannot do without the help of your Holy Father. Renounce the stronghold in Jesus name! Tell the Father you do not want this sin as part of your life anymore in any form! This might take some time but it is key. Ask the Father to reveal any unforgiveness and any sin.
2. Ask for God by His Holy Spirit to come and heal you in the wounded areas of your life and to bring peace where there has been conflict. Healing where there has been woundedness. Ask Him to show you where He was in the midst of a difficult situation. Give all of the memories over to Him and allow Him to take them – never to return to you with conflict. You will remember but not with pain or anguish or conflict in your spirit.
3. Renounce any demonic spirit that has had a right to keep you “stirred up” because of the strong holds of sin and unforgiveness. In the name of Jesus, they no longer have a right to your mind.
4. Ask for the Lord to fill your spirit with His Holy Spirit. Pray that your spirit will awaken to the presence of the Holy Spirit and the your spirit, soul and body will come into the alignment that God desires for you to walk. This is freedom based walking. Walking by the Spirit not by your flesh.
Stay in the Word. Not just for reading it and checking off the list but that the Word becomes your FOOD from your Abba.
5. Learn the truth of who you are and how much your Abba Father God loves you! He knows where you are and He is not failing you or leaving you!
These are the first steps.
1 It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery………
5 For we through the Spirit, by faith, are awaiting for the hope of righteousness.
6 For in Christ Jesus bneither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but cfaith working through love.
7 You were running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth?
8 This persuasion did not come from Him who calls you.
9 A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough.
This is the biggest step in walking in freedom. It is what I have learned over the last few years. It is the basis for all freedom. Because we live in a fallen world we will have pulls on our lives to step into the bondage and yoke of slavery. We will need to practice this not just one time but many through this life journey to our permanent home.
Hope this helps – I am praying for you even now.
Do not let your stomach turn flip flops any longer. Do not fear me or most of ALL the freedom that is waiting through the power of Abba Daddy God’s love.
Don’t let him win!
Love you and praying